Friday, August 16, 2013

United by the Moon and Ithaca

Flopped on the sofa tonight with the intent to relax with a book of favorite poems.  But instead I looked out the window, then up, and my attention was captured by the burgeoning moon.  The book was momentarily forgotten in favor of pondering.

It occurred to me how, perhaps weirdly,  the majority of my family are Cancers. Most of us were born under that astrological sign between June 22 and July 22.  This being the case, we are moon children.  Now, please do not call me a zodiac girl.  I definitely do not dial up those numbers in the back of magazines for my horoscope.

Moving on...

Right now, given that it is summer and vacation time,  we are spread out -  oddly in places beginning with vowels - Austin, Ottawa, Ireland, and Australia.  Yet at some point and at different hours, we all see our moon.

This is the beautiful moon that I see now.



No matter where we are the moon - and nowadays, Skype - unites us.  Rather marvelous to think about.

So the book of poems that I was reading?


The Complete Poems of Cavafy


See page 36 for "Ithaca" which has been read at weddings, birthdays, and anniversaries.  Dad read it at my wedding...

"Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage.  Without her you would have never taken the road."























 

No comments:

Post a Comment